Today I offer you a mea culpa of sorts for my absence the past week and a half. I’ll not blather on about the week we spent at the beach in Miami. I’ll spare you the details of the warm sun, the white sand, the resort pool, the Cuban cuisine, the week off work… we won’t go there.
Instead I’ll choose to whine, and tell you about how a mere week before leaving for vacation our basement flooded due to clogged pipes. They had to be snaked. Twice! The carpet got ruined, the drywall behind the washer/dryer was torn apart, the powder room vanity became a dismantled mess. And now the total basement remodel, a project we’d talked about maybe someday getting around to I don’t know possibly in a couple of years, is beginning THIS WEEK. Of course it is stressing me out, first because a thing like this is perfectly stressful, and second because I am a high-strung individual who just hates shit like this.
The contractors have given us a budget and timeline, but you know both will run over. I am attempting to mentally prepare for the distractions, the noise, the jack-hammering of tile, the paint fumes, the interruptions to daily life… I know they’re cutting through metal, but it sounds like they’re raping my cat. I’m mostly strategizing about meal planning and cooking. I mean, I already know the remodel itself will almost certainly go over budget, so I’d rather not blow out our monthly food budget as well by using Seamless and Uber Eats every night, despite the fact that it would be easier. We need some easy meals to throw together without much thought, and it’d be nice if some could even be a tad lower on the calorie count than, say, spaghetti with meat sauce. (Which I made last night. With jarred marinara. And zero apologies. Oh yes.)
I’ve found wedge salads can fit that bill nicely. I love them, they are hearty and filling, and many are super easy to quickly throw together – not a lot of moving parts. I love the Tex-Mex twist on the classic here as I will never not be a chipotle fiend. This is probably on our menu again this week. A delicious meal is always a welcome distraction.
Chipotle-Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
- 1 cup 4 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs buttermilk, more if needed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, minced
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 slices thick bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup halved or quartered if large cherry tomatoes
- To make the DRESSING: combine half of the blue cheese crumbles, mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic, chipotle, paprika, and vinegar in a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sour cream and remaining blue cheese crumbles. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the SALAD: cut the iceberg wedges into quarters, lengthwise. Place each wedge on a salad plate and top each with crumbled bacon, tomatoes, and too much dressing. Serve immediately with a fork and a knife.